Volunteers are critical to the success of our Village. The entire operation of Mount Pleasant Village depends on member volunteers, because unlike most Villages, we have no staff.
Here’s how this works:
- You apply to become a volunteer by giving us some contact information, telling us what services you are willing and able to provide, as well as giving us permission and some information to run a background check.
- We need to run checks, by calling your references and using a company called Verified Volunteers, so that service recipients can feel safe letting you into their homes and getting into your car. Remember, we are dealing with people who do not know us and need to be cautious.
- All “vetting” information is kept private and not stored on the Village website.
- All we keep on-line, because we need it to make assignments, is whether you passed the check, have car insurance, etc. – not the details.
- We’d also like to know any additional certifications or skills (like CPR training) that you have to offer.
- Once you are added to our Helping Hands Team, we will forward Member Service requests that fit your skills, availability, and workload to you as they come in.
- Please respond within one day.
- We will pick the most appropriate Volunteer, notify him or her, and thank everyone else.
- If you are selected, you will be asked to contact the Service Recipient and he or she will be notified of your selection as the Service Provider.
- You will get additional details, including a map to the Recipient’s home.
- You will get one or more reminders via Email.
- After the service is performed, we will follow up with both you and the Service Recipient to see how it went and how we could do better in the future.
- From time to time, we will all get together to see how the process works, how we could do it better, and to appreciate all your work.
- There is a Volunteer Forum on the website where we can share experiences, post questions, and celebrate success with each other.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering. Without you, the Village is just another social club.